05 July 2010

Rapunzel

Retold and Illustrated by Paul O. Zelinsky
Published by Dutton Children's Books

Paul Zelinsky is a rare children's book author and illustrator, but I believe a very special one. The illustrations in this book are some of the best I've ever seen. The detail and beauty are stunning. After reading through the book once, I went back over and over again, looking through the pages at the amazing artistry. I stopped to wonder how I could possibly get one enlarged and framed. I was so intrigued I had to look up how Zelinsky created these wonderful illustrations.

Zelinsky used a technique called "grisaille." With this technique, he first painted in grays and browns as an "underpainting" with watercolor paints. Then, he used transparent oils to color with, after sealing the paper so the oils would not soak through. This is the same technique used by Renaissance painters, like Raphael, except with watercolors instead of an egg yolk based tempera. (http://www.paulozelinsky.com/paul-faq.php)

After I looked this information up, I went back through the artwork again and was amazed even more. If you look closely, you can see the underpainting under the skin of the characters, under the pale walls. This effect is what adds to the detail of expression and depth of the characters faces, hands, and gestures.

Zelinsky definitely captured the essence of the Renaissance, with Italian landscaping, architecture, and wardrobe. I also read that he researched quite a bit to be accurate about these points. (http://www.paulozelinsky.com/paul-faq.php)

Getting to the actual story, I was really impressed by the accuracy of it. Zelinsky does not spare any detail and at the back of his books he tells much about the folktale he retells. He educates the reader about different Grimm editions of the story and different versions from Italy and France. Hence, the Italian landscape and architecture he chose to paint for the books illustrations.

I think this book would make a great addition to a unit on different versions of Rapunzel. While doing a search at Barnes and Noble's website, I came across pages and pages of different takes on Rapunzel. There is an African version by Rachel Isadora, and there is, of course, the original by the Grimm Brothers. Also, the French and Italian versions that Zelinsky gives homage to in his version. With so many versions of Rapunzel, there could be a great unit study of character analysis, comparing and contrasting, main idea, etc. Also, Rapunzel has enough romance, action, and drama to make anyone a fan, so most students should enjoy it.

If there is anything else to love about this book, it is that I love the way Zelinsky does not hold back the frightening details of the story. He retells the story of the sorceress, making her crazed and scary, hovering over Rapunzel's father when he steals the plant, cutting off her hair with sharp scissors, and throwing the prince from the tower. Between the words and paintings, this book is haunting and grand. I am so happy I came across it and I am buying a copy for myself!

1 comment:

  1. Lauren-
    This is my absolute favorite version of Rapunzel. Zelinsky is a master illustrator. His version of Rumplestiltskin is along the same lines of greatness as Rapunzel. Beautiful description of the techniques he used and nice work on the addition of links! To improve, please include some ideas for how you might the book you're writing about in an educational setting. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete